Areas of Clinical Focus
• Spiritual abuse
Adam's email. Adam@enlivenpsychotherapy.com
Adam is a licensed psychotherapist, and co-director of Enliven Psychotherapy. He works with individuals and families through a trauma lens. He is particularly passionate about working collaboratively to increase a feeling of safety in the body.
Adam has worked in schools, summer camps, after school programs, arts organizations, athletic settings, day treatment centers, correctional facilities, and residential treatment centers. For over ten years Adam combined his passions for healing and the arts, serving as Founder and Artistic Director of blank slate theatre, a personal growth-oriented theatre for youth in Saint Paul, Minnesota. While there, he collaborated with culturally and ability diverse youth to produce over two dozen theatre pieces focusing on themes of mental health and social change, including the award-winning Disordered [thy name is teenager], and Bottom, a play on child sex trafficking. Adam also was proud to serve as chair of the "Safe Schools, Safe Students Conference," which sought to address mental health issues in schools, innovate family involvement with schools, soothe peer aggression (bullying), and eliminate school shootings.
Adam continues his special interest in collaborating with culturally and ability diverse persons, frequently treating mental and chemical health concerns within transracially adoptive families, persons with developmental disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community. He is trained in, and commonly utilizes, Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy.
When not at Enliven, Adam practices yoga, watches scary movies, and listens to nerdy podcasts.
You can read his writings on cults, spiritual abuse, and coercive control on his blog, Leaky Buckets.License
• Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist - State of Minnesota
• Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor - State of Minnesota
• Approved Supervisor - Minnesota Board of Marriage and Family Therapy
• Approved Supervisor - Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy (LADC)
Education & Training
• Master of Arts in Counseling and Psychotherapy - Adler Graduate School
• Certificate in Addiction Studies - University of Minnesota
• Certificate in Permanency and Adoption - University of Minnesota
• Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy - Bethel University
• Trained in Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)
Awards & Recognitions
• Alumni Leadership Award - Adler Graduate School
• Outstanding Licensed Associate Marriage and Family Therapist - Minnesota Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
• American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy - Clinical Member
• Minnesota Association of Marriage and Family Therapy - Clinical Member
• International Cultic Studies Association - Member
• Fostering Families Today - "Numbing the Pain: Drug and alcohol misuse among adolescents in foster care"
• Interfaithings - "Better Than Therapy?"
• MAMFT News - "13 Reasons Why: A discussion among professionals"
• Leaky Buckets (www.LeakyBuckets.space)
Insurance accepted: Medical Assistance, PreferredOne, UCARE, Medica, Aetna, UnitedHealth
"The soul is like a wild animal - tough, resilient, savvy, self-sufficient and yet exceedingly shy. If we want to see a wild animal, the last thing we should do is to go crashing through the woods, shouting for the creature to come out. But if we are willing to walk quietly into the woods and sit silently for an hour or two at the base of a tree, the creature we are waiting for may well emerge, and out of the corner of an eye we will catch a glimpse of the precious wildness we seek."
~ Parker Palmer